Creating A Gorgeous Business

Tips To Clean And Prevent Mold Growth On Common Household Surfaces

Mold growing inside your home is never ideal, especially if it is a toxic black mold that can start growing in any dark and damp area of your home. But all types of mold growing in your home have been found to cause health issues, such as rashes, headaches, nausea, dizziness, and lung infections in someone with a weakened immune system, so you need to remain vigilant about cleaning any mold growth from all surfaces in your home. Here are some tips and insight to help you keep your home's interior free of mold growth and to reduce adverse health reactions.

Prevent Mold Growth

Prevention of mold growth is your best option, and the key to keeping mold growth from occurring is to keep the humidity low inside your home. Be sure to open windows or turn on ventilation fans when you shower, bathe, or cook in your kitchen, as these can put excess moisture into the air. Also, make sure your clothes dryer vents to the exterior of your home.

Installing a portable dehumidifier in one or more rooms of your home can also help keep moisture levels low. Check with your HVAC professional to see if you can install a dehumidifier with your home's heating or cooling system.

Remove Mold Growth

Mold commonly grows on wet surfaces within your home or in damp areas. Rooms such as your bathroom and kitchen are constantly receiving moisture from daily household activities, so keep an eye out for mold growth and clean it up whenever it begins growing.

A simple cleaning solution of equal parts white distilled vinegar and water or full strength vinegar for large areas of growth will remove the mold and kill most mold species. Spray the area with the vinegar cleaner and use a cleaning rag to remove the mold. Spraying the area first with the solution will also trap down any mold spores and prevent them from becoming airborne during the cleaning process.

Mold growing on your tile grout can be difficult to remove, but by creating a paste with baking soda, liquid dish soap, and water, you can clean it from its porous surface. First, wipe up the grout with a damp cloth and some vinegar spray. Then, combine some baking soda and a squirt or two of liquid dish soap, then add water until it creates a paste and apply it onto the grout. Use a scrub brush to work the mixture into the grout and to pull up mold from the grout.

If you find a large area of mold growth in your bathroom or kitchen from a persistent water leak, you may need to call in professional mold remediation services to fully remove all the mold. Often a water leak can seep down into the flooring or wall's interior of basement spaces to cause large areas of mold growth. For more information, contact your local mold removal service.


Share